fetching the structure / obejctClass defs

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Mon Jun 3 13:23:28 CEST 2002

Hans Aschauer wrote:
> I just took a deeper look at the sources, and
> the code seems to look like hand-coded regular expressions.

Uurgs!

I'd like to see a base class for a LDAP syntax with a method
validate() which is called when setting the attribute value. More
or less like I'm doing form parameter validation in PyWebLib. Also
one could emulate comparison of values by implementing __cmp__().
With such a vehicle it would be easy to implement new syntaxes by
just implementing these two methods.

> BTW: Do you know of a more or less complete list of syntax descriptions?
 > [..]
> many syntaxes there are BNF definitions (which is just fine), but
> sometimes they reference material which I cannont find online (e.g. the
> syntax for telefon numbers, 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.50, is described
> in E.123).

You hit one of the famous problems in schema handling. The good
news is that it seems you understood the problem... ;-)

 > I know sites like http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/top.html

That's the best I'd come up with.