defect

Jens Vagelpohl jens at zope.com
Wed Jun 26 15:57:37 CEST 2002

michael,

- Athlon 1 Ghz
- 784 MB RAM
- RedHat 7.2
- OpenLDAP 2.0.23 compiled from source (no logging)
- Python 2.1.3 compiled from source
- python-ldap 2.0.0pre4 compiled from source (using distutils)

the query i used for my own testing is simple:

- bind anonymously once
- search with scope SCOPE_BASE for objectclass=* at a known existing
searchbase.

now i took your test script (thanks for providing that!) and here are my
results:

- without leif's "fix":

*** Read the RootDSE on same connection
     8.462220 searches/second
*** Read the RootDSE on newly created connection without extra simple bind
     6.347031 searches/second
*** Read the RootDSE on newly created connection with an extra simple bind
     3.198623 searches/second

- with leif's "fix":

*** Read the RootDSE on same connection
     82.275864 searches/second
*** Read the RootDSE on newly created connection without extra simple bind
     85.599961 searches/second
*** Read the RootDSE on newly created connection with an extra simple bind
     47.726886 searches/second

this seems to point to the "tight loop that prevents slapd from answering
requests" theory leif had.

jens