ldap_url_search ?

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman at dman.ddts.net
Fri Jun 28 21:39:23 CEST 2002

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 04:44:54PM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
| Michael Ströder wrote:
| > Franco Spinelli wrote:
| >
| >> I have installed openldap 2.1.2 fron openldap site
| >  > [..]
| >
| > Hmm, it seems that ldap_url_search is no longer available in
| > OpenLDAP
| > 2.1. So far I've never tested python-ldap with OpenLDAP 2.1.
| >
| > [..]
| > * Remove any reference to ldap_url_search in
| >   Modules/LDAPObject.c. web2ldap does not use this function.
|
| Anyone having any objections against removing methods url_search*()?
|
| Anyone really using it?

The only objection I have is that it really helped me to learn how to
work with an LDAP URL.  I needed to use URLs to configure exim to pull
data from LDAP, and I was having trouble using 'ldapsearch' -- it
didn't like the URL no matter what I gave it.  For me it was a
valuable tool.

Though if OpenLDAP 2.1 doesn't have the function, then that's a real
strong argument for removing those methods (at the very least when
compiled against OpenLDAP 2.1).

| If yes, we could easily reimplement it later with help of module
| ldapurl.  The only issue would be that ldapurl needs Python 2.x (not
| compatible with Python 1.5.x).

Personally I don't consider compatibility with python 1.5.2 a
significant feature.  2.0 was released a long time ago, by internet
standards.

-D

--

Microsoft DNS service terminates abnormally when it receives a response
to a dns query that was never made.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/