LDAP_TYPE_IS_OPAQUE?

David Leonard david.leonard at itee.uq.edu.au
Wed Jul 3 06:34:26 CEST 2002

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Michael Ströder typed thusly:

> I have no clue what define LDAP_TYPE_IS_OPAQUE is for?
>
> Can we get rid of it because we require OpenLDAP 2.x libs for
> python-ldap 2.x?

the type-is-opaque test was introduced when the LDAP type was not defined
in the ldap.h header file (netscape's from memory).

to determine the error number from failed LDAP operations, you either had
to access an errno field of the structure, or use a function such as
ldap_get_error() or something. (its getting foggy in my mind)

so, in the early days, if LDAP_TYPE_IS_OPAQUE was detected by configure,
and if no ldap_get_error() function was provided, then - well errors
were all generic.

if the focus is now on simply supporting the OpenLDAP client library, then
getting rid of LDAP_TYPE_IS_OPAQUE makes sense.