RedHat 8.0 RPMS -- what they foretell

Joe Little jlittle at open-it.org
Fri Jul 5 18:38:42 CEST 2002

I'll downloaded the isos for limbo, the first RedHat 8.0 beta release.

Its a true .0 release, in that a lot of major changes are in the works. Primarily, they have migrated their whole installation system from python 1.5.x to 2.2.x. Along with this, they have adopted OpenLDAP 2.1.2, and their compat libs are only for OpenLDAP 1.2.13. This means that at least for this vendor, a CVS release of python-ldap will be the bare minimum requirement. My guess is that 8.0 may be an August release, or perhaps later. Regardless, the list will get more questions about OpenLDAP 2.1.x in the future. The good news is that Python 1.5.x is going away and so my RPMs won't need to deal with "python == python-1.5.x and python2 == python 2.x.y?" notation..