release versions (was: FYI: ldaptor)

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Fri Jul 19 18:30:40 CEST 2002

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> that sounds even worse. however, i was hoping that the "this software is
> never at any finished state" from the "olden days" would be over soon :)

As long as people are requesting new features appearing in
OpenLDAP all the time but refuse to test thoroughly CVS versions
on different platforms with different (build) configuration this
piece of software won't make any significant progress to a
non-beta release.

> veryone has a different philosophy about release frequency, i tend to
> release more often myself.

1. This does not say anything about software quality.

2. If you have full control without many users you can do almost
everything you want. But people will blame me if their old code
using python-ldap does not work anymore. Well, you did...

The message is:
python-ldap is community work. Progress is reached by at least
testing it. And yes, despite the impression some of you might have
my spare time is tight either.