Own pure Python parser for LDAPv3 schema support

Jens Vagelpohl jens at zope.com
Wed Aug 14 13:51:30 CEST 2002

> I hoped that someone bites the bullet and uses
> /usr/lib/python2.2/profile.py... ;-)

hey, i told you i don't use python2.2 yet ;)

> Also the __init__() methods of the schema element classes need review to
> check whether they are consistent.

you mean the classes inside schema.py such os "ObjectClass", "AttributeType"
  etc? i am noticing that the __init__ for ObjectClass, unlike all others,
does not just take the full schema_element_string, it also takes all
attributes as separate keyword arguments. that seems a little redundant.
all other classes only take the schema_element_string and extract the
attributes from that.

> Be warned that the API still might be changed without prominent
> notification (there are some significant changes in the pipe not checked
> in). I developed the stuff while implementing schema support in web2ldap.
>  Therefore it should contain almost everything needed by applications.

i don't have time to implement it and throw it out right at this moment,
anyway. i'm fully aware that something so "new" will change more frequently.

> Also be warned that there are many broken schemas out there in the wild.
> Test your application against other products than OpenLDAP!

well, i would probably end up doing a widget that offers both a dropdown
and a text input field, maybe depending on errors occurring during schema
discovery.

jens