Very strange problem with module ldapurl

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Fri Sep 6 20:27:04 CEST 2002

HI!

I have a very strange problem with ldapurl (my own source, sigh!) which
can also be a security problem in case of passwords stored in
LDAPUrlExtension instances. It drives me crazy!

See this simple source:

------------------------ snip ------------------------
from ldapurl import LDAPUrl,LDAPUrlExtension

l1=LDAPUrl()
l1.hostport='host1'
l1.who='cn=User1'
l1.cred='passwd1'
l1.extensions['dummyext1']=LDAPUrlExtension(
   extype='dummyext1',exvalue='dummyvalue1'
)

print 'l1 before creation of l2:\n',str(l1)

l2=LDAPUrl()
l2.hostport='host2'
l2.who='cn=User2'
l2.cred='passwd2'
l2.extensions['dummyext2']=LDAPUrlExtension(
   extype='dummyext2',exvalue='dummyvalue2'
)

print 'l1 after creation of l2:\n',str(l1)
print 'l2 itself:\n',str(l2)

In theory l1 and l2 should be completely independent LDAPUrl instances.
But it seems the LDAPUrl.extensions class attributes are tied by some means.

The problem is the output (with Python 2.2.1):

$ python Tests/ldapurl_instance_error.py
ldap://host1/????dummyext2=dummyvalue2,dummyext1=dummyvalue1,bindname=cn=User2,X-BINDPW=passwd2
ldap://host2/????dummyext2=dummyvalue2,dummyext1=dummyvalue1,bindname=cn=User2,X-BINDPW=passwd2

Anybody here having a clue?