'valid' attribute in python-ldap 2.0.0pre05

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Tue Sep 10 15:50:38 CEST 2002

Lars,

Cc:-ed python-ldap-dev at lists.sourceforge.net to receive comments by others.

Lars Damerow wrote:

> I just built python-ldap 2.0.0pre05, and I can
> no longer access the 'valid' attribute of LDAPObjects:

Well, it is not supported at the moment. It would be fairly easy to
reimplement it in the Python wrapper class (see Lib/ldap/ldapobject.c)
if really needed for backward compability.

Normally it's done within David's C code. Most times I'm not bothering
with it. Frankly I would not rely on this flag at all.

I'd suggest statements like:

try:
   ..some LDAP operation..
except ldap.SERVER_DOWN:
   ..try to reconnect..

In current CVS version the new wrapper class
ldap.ldapobject.ReconnectLDAPObject provides a convenient framework for
this. Check it out.