Security fix module ldapurl (was: ANN: python-ldap-2.0.0pre06)

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed Sep 25 10:12:32 CEST 2002

Peter Hawkins wrote:
>>- Security fix to module ldapurl
>
> Can you explain this more clearly? How severe is it?

If an application used the LDAP URL extensions bindname and X-BINDPW in
prior versions the key-word arg 'extensions' for LDAPUrl._init__() was
not newly initialized each time. This could in some cases reveal login
information elsewhere through LDAP URLs generated with this module.

See also:
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/1568/0/9527098/

The follow-ups:
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/1568/0/9527860/
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/1568/0/9527887/
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/1568/0/9533130/

 > Which versions does it affect?

2.0.0pre05 and prior versions which contain module ldapurl.

 > Do I need to issue an advisory against my package?

Depends on your policy.