compile python-ldap on macosx

Jens Vagelpohl jens at zope.com
Sun Oct 27 16:34:05 CET 2002

as far as compiling python-ldap goes, here is the outcome of a couple
experiments i did yesterday. all were done with the current CVS HEAD:

- against self-compiled OpenLDAP 2.1.4 and self-compiled python 2.1.3:
no problem.

- against built-in OpenLDAP and self-compiled python 2.1.3: no problem.
i specified "/usr/lib" as library_dirs and "/usr/include" as
include_dirs. libs was "ldap_r lber ssl crypto" (sasl did not compile -
could not find sasl.h, even though OS X has the library itself).

- against built-in OpenLDAP and the built-in python 2.2: fails with the
error message that started this whole thread. the _ldap.so shared
module is not created because linking fails.

it seems that the culprit might be the built-in python2.2. the python
build flags, i assume, govern the build flags used when compiling these
extension modules.

jens