__debug__ and trace_level (was: Python benchmark script)

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Tue Jun 24 09:52:45 CEST 2003

Cc:-ed list since this might be of general interest.

Ed . wrote:
> I'm pleased to hear that there are optimisations which can be made, not
> sure I understand the reference to __debug__.

> Perhaps it's a
> documentation problem and that logging should be off by default and
> enabled for those doing debugging?

Logging is off by default (trace_level=0). But the if-statements checking
trace_level are executed if the Python interpreter was invoked without -O.

If running with -O it is my understanding that code behind if __debug__ is
completely optimized away and never executed. Therefore tracing is only
available when running without -O.