Win32 Binaries?

Mauro Cicognini mcicogni at siosistemi.it
Wed Aug 20 12:56:31 CEST 2003

Michael Ströder wrote:

> >BTW Michael, how would you let the different setp.cfg versions co-exist?
> I think Build/ is the right place.

Right. I'd create a "Build/win32" dir and put the setup.cfg there.
Obviously the main dir should have pointers to let people know they
should look into "Build/<platform>".

> We should stick with one way which is DistUtils.

OK. I guess you can zap directory "Win32" from the CVS tree altogether,
then.

>> I did have to extend setup.py a bit; I attach the unified diff here.
>
> Hmm, can web apply changes one-by-one? I'd really like to see in the
> diff what was changed.

Right. I attach a file where I try to let changes stand out more.
The changes I had to insert are:
1. I needed extra options for the linker; so I added "extra_link_args"
to the class definition and passed it to the constructor.
2. I hijacked the "data files" mechanism in Distutils to carry over the
Cyrus-SASL DLL. I added "extra_files" to the class definition and passed
it to setup() as the "data_files" param. I also had to add a loop to
process that setting in the setup.cfg.
3. I added the library names I got under Win32 for LDAP (oldap_r) and
SASL (libsasl) to the macro-definition logic.

> ... avoid DistUtils warning messages. Unfortunately this doesn't work
> with Python versions prior 2.3.
>
> error: build_py: supplying both 'packages' and 'py_modules' options is
> not allowed

Hmmm, this is unfortunate. I wasn't aware of this limitation. I wonder why?
If so, let's revert to the old style. However, there's one file missing
from the manually-built list (ldap/filter.py). Is this intentional?

> Which version of Cyrus SASL?

I got it from their CVS a few days ago; so it must be later than 2.1.2
which is the latest source tarball available on their site.
I didn't use 2.1.2 because it has serious problems building on Windows,
whereas the CVS version builds like a charm out of the box.

> Is the name 'libsasl' also version dependent like on Linux/Unices
> (sasl vs. sasl2)?

It appears not to; in fact, the MSVC project files included with the
sources build a DLL called LIBSASL without any indication of the version.

> Could you please send it to me personally? I will make it available as
> public download with experimental status.

Done. You'll get it in a separate message ;-)

Mauro