Segmention fault on redhat 9 on ldap_simple_bind_s

Jens Vagelpohl jens at zope.com
Tue Sep 30 13:58:09 CEST 2003

> 	After read  mails from  archives, I sucessfully install
> python-ldap on redhat 9. (install tgz of openldap-2.1.22
> Modify source with  python-ldap_libs.patch ( -libs = ldap_r lber sasl2
> ssl crypto
> +libs = ldap_r ldap lber sasl2 ssl crypto ) before that I have an error
> messages on import undefined
>  symbol: ldap_first_reference)

A guy here at work replaced "ldap_r" with "ldap" in the LIBS line and
it worked. He traced it to a broken Makefile in OpenLDAP itself (even
in the latest RPMs) that did not mention all the right things (don't
have the details here).

> Now I have a segmentation fault on simple bind
> Erreur de segmentation

ldap.open is deprecated. Read the docs and use ldap.initialize instead.
Michael has produced wonderful python-style documentation, see
python-ldap.sourceforge.net.

> I try to install the package on a debian and I have
>
>  python setup.py build
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 10, in ?
>     from distutils.core import setup, Extension
> ImportError: No module named distutils.core

I don't do Debian. I bet Debian's python package might be split up in
all kinds of pieces and you need to install more of them. They're weird
that way.

jens