Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman+yahoo at
Wed Apr 7 16:49:07 CEST 2004

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 09:52:44AM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:

| You could try to let the OpenLDAP libs handle the referral by setting:
| ldap.set_option(ldap.OPT_REFERRALS,1)

I tried this.

(actually, I wrote
    ldap.set_option(ldap.OPT_REFERRALS, ldap.LDAP_OPT_ON)
 instead of using a literal integer.)

| Note that referral handling in OpenLDAP libs is considered to be broken.

Indeed, it didn't work.

My experience, thus far, is that very few applications actually handle
    gq:         no
    web2ldap:   yes
    imp/horede: no
    python-ldap/libldap2:   no      (not automatically, as noted above)

It was a rather disappointing discovery when setting up the fallback

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
    --Jim Elliot
www:            jabber: dman at