Leave Sourceforge?

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Tue May 18 21:43:29 CEST 2004

HI!

SF is a nice service for distributed development and the infrastructure is
helpful for many projects. And we don't have to pay for it. So it was
natural for David to move the python-ldap stuff to SF when he did not have
much time to work on it himself anymore.

But sometimes using SF really drives me crazy!

- Some things, e.g. the file-release system, have such a messy user
interface with ad banners that it's really waste of time to use it.

- Access is often damn slow

- Systems are quite often not available (e.g. can't login/CVS with ssh)

- SSL setup for web interface screwed up => security pop-ups

Furthermore:

- Since quite some time I'm the only developer who is really applying
patches to the python-ldap code => there's no need for CVS access.

- Additionally the python-ldap project does not make use of many of the SF
features (trackers are rarely used, the documentation is just on the normal
web page, etc.).

Therefore I'd like to ask the community here if there are any objections
against moving the python-ldap stuff away from SF.net into my own private
web space (probably under http://www.stroeder.com/pylib/). In my private
environment I can implement scripts for doing many things automagically
which would save me lot of time.