LDAP Password Modify Extended Operation (was: ANN: python-ldap-2.0.3)

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed Oct 6 21:43:36 CEST 2004

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>> * Added support for LDAP Password Modify Extended Operation
>>   (see RFC 3062)
>
> Question: Is the Password Modify Extended Operation a generally
> supported LDAP operation or is it only on a few server implementations
> (I know OpenLDAP has it)?

You can find out by looking at attribute supportedExtension in the RootDSE.
The OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.20037 as attribute value indicates that the LDAP
server supports Password Modify Extended Operation. Note that this attribute
might be subject to access control.

Currently the only LDAP server I know of which supports this is OpenLDAP.

> I'm trying to gauge whether this should be the
> default under-the-hood way of changing passwords from my own
> Zope-related products.

Probably not.