ANN: 2.0.4 win32 build using mingw32

Mauro Cicognini mcicogni at libero.it
Mon Nov 8 23:40:24 CET 2004

Hi all,
I finally got around to updating my win32 binary of Python-LDAP.

The reason it took so long was that in between my last attempt and today
the core OpenLDAP developers have dropped MSVC support and now Win32
platforms are officially supported through mingw32, so all my previous
work of making Python-LDAP compile using the Microsoft toolchain were
useless and obsolete :-(

The good news is that the original developer of the OpenLDAP win32 port
(his name is Lucas Bergman) resumed work on it, as a purely volounteer
effort, so now we can count on OpenLDAP living on Windows for a while.
So far his most important achievement has been the re-introduction of
SSL capabilities (which should be promptly available through Python-LDAP
too).
On the other hand, the SASL developers seem to be sticking to the MS
toolchain, therefore since mingw cannot build it, SASL support is not
available instead... oh well. I sure hope we'll have it back sometime,
but that isn't currently one of my priorities.

After asking the win32 Python developers for reassurance (it turns out
mingw-built extensions will work nicely with the ordinary MSVC-built
interpreter), I had to learn to use mingw32, which was fun (I got around
building OpenLDAP too) and actually easier than I thought. I used the
very latest versions of both OpenLDAP (2.2.18) and OpenSSL (0.9.7e) so
we should really be cutting edge.

Anyway, I have uploaded the new binary to my homepage (the one referred
to from http://python-ldap.sourceforge.net/download.shtml) where it
should appear sometime tomorrow.

I also have a mingw setup.cfg for our build script, which I propose to
label the "official" win32 compiler, and therefore to remove all
MSVC-related stuff from the HEAD branch of the source tree. I can
provide the script on demand, I won't obvisouly attach it here to avoid
spam.

I'd be glad to hear feedback, although, as always, YMMV.

All the best,
Mauro