Implementation of LDAPControls

Ingo Steuwer steuwer at univention.de
Thu Dec 16 13:36:10 CET 2004

Hello

we are using python-ldap in some of our main projects and are glad to
have this great tool.

To fulfill our upcomming goals we need to use LDAPControls, but the
latest released version of python-ldap doesn't support them.

We did some experimental implementations in the C-backend (for "proof of
concept") and would now like to define a general approach. This should
be done in coordination with you to see our work in upcoming versions of
python-ldap.

At the moment we need no "complete" implementation, only support for
sending an arbitrary OID and the "iscritcal"-Flag. But the
implementation should be prepared for optional values and parsing of
client-controls.

My attempt would defining a python-class LDAPControl (containing OID,
iscritcal and value (dictionary)) and implement a correspondig wrapper
to *LDAPControl. I think the most diffcult part will be the
representation of berval/berelement in python.

So, some questions before going further:

- is there somebody else implementing this (I didn't look at the cvs) ?
- are there already thoughts, definitions or an approach I should know ?
- do you know about wrappers between berval/berelement and python ?

I'd be glad to get some hints, opinions and feedback.

Regards
Ingo Steuwer

--
Ingo Steuwer       steuwer at univention.de         fon: +49 421 22 232- 0
Entwicklung        Linux for Your Business