Implementation of LDAPControls

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Tue Feb 22 09:43:17 CET 2005

Deepak Giridharagopal wrote:

> That said, for the moment I've been using Pices' ASN.1 encoding module.
> It's a single Python file and trivial to use:
>
> http://www.cnri.reston.va.us/software/pisces/manual/module-pisces.asn1.html

I use a slightly improved version of it in web2ldap for the built-in
X.509 certificate/CRL parser.

There are some issues with the CNRI license which prevents this module
to be shipped with Debian Linux. See http://bugs.debian.org/80195 for a
discussion about it.

Jeremy, the author of picses, already planned to negotiate a more
liberal license with CNRI. A similar license issue was solved for Python
itself before. But AFAIK no progress so far.

I have to look into module pysnmp.ber. Found some old conversation with
Ilya in my archive about implementing a ASN.1 module...
(In the year 2000! time is running...!)