problem with the case of attributes' names

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Thu Mar 31 19:17:30 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 03:33:26PM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:

> Your application has to deal with it
> (and with more weird alias issues).
> > Shouldn't ldap.modlist handle this automatically (not sure if it
> > does or not) when updating existing attributes ?
>
> It can handle this automagically if you use ldap.cidict for the entry
> dictionaries passed to ldap.modlist.modifyModlist().

Am I right in thinking that each time I use search_s() I should
transform the result this way so that the app doesn't care :

--- CUT ---
result = server.search_s(base, scope, fiterexp, attributes)
if result :
    result = [ (dn, ldap.cidict.cidict(attrs)) for (dn, attrs) in result ]
--- CUT ---

> > Does python-ldap do something special about name's case or not ?
>
> python-ldap mainly provides ldap.cidict which a dictionary class with
> case-insensitive strings as keys.

OK, so if I always transform the search results with the above code,
and if I directly use these transformed results when calling
modifyModlist() for both old and new entries, all should be fine ?

Do I understand correctly ?

If yes, then this is just great news :-)

(sorry, no more access to an ldap server for today, I can't test this
until tomorrow)

thanks all for your help

Jerome Alet