encodings while modify AD with linux-client

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Mon May 2 20:22:44 CEST 2005

Ingo Steuwer wrote:

> modlist=[(ldap.MOD_REPLACE,"description",[u"hallöle".encode('ISO-8859-1')])]
> lo.modify_s("CN=moreusers,CN=Users,%s"%ldap_base,modlist)

LDAPv3 mandates use of Unicode with UTF-8 encoding. You are accessing
Active Directory via its LDAPv3 interface. Hence it expects UTF-8.

> It is documented that Active Directory uses ISO-8859-1 and not utf8 (like
> Openldap an others).

I doubt that. Well, depends on what "Active Directory uses ISO-8859-1"
really means...

But the charset of the internal storage of AD is not relevant when
accessing it through LDAPv3.

> So, is this a python-ldap or openldap-problem

Nope. The applications using python-ldap are responsible to provide the
proper charset and encoding at the API level.

> (I know, great chanceto start an AD-Flamewar)?

(Not at all.)

> Any experiences/solutions?

I've tried it. It works for me with UTF-8.