Setting password

Deepak Giridharagopal deepak at
Mon May 23 20:06:38 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 13:06 +0200, Daniel LB wrote:
> I have only come across the passwd(user,oldpw,newpw) function, which
> requires the old password, but if you are logged in as Administrator
> you should be able to *set* the users' password directly, no?

Are you doing this with Active Directory (I ask because you mention
"Administrator" in your email)? If not, then ignore the rest of this
message. :)

But if so, then here's some code that I use:

userdn = "cn=foo,cn=users,dc=blah,dc=org"
pw = "1337secret"

# AD requires that passwords be enclosed in quotes
# and properly encoded
adpw = unicode('"' + pw + '"', "iso-8859-1")
adpw = adpw.encode("utf-16-le")

# conn is an established LDAP connection
conn.modify_s(userdn, [(ldap.MOD_REPLACE, "unicodePwd", adpw)])

Also, this snippet requires that your LDAP connection to the AD server
is encrypted. AD won't let you modify certain attributes over an
unencrypted connection.

Deepak Giridharagopal