password bind

François Beretti francois.beretti at free.fr
Fri Jun 10 13:44:44 CEST 2005

Fabio Marcone wrote:

>Hi!
>I would know if there is a way to pass to bind() method an encrypted password.
>I read this password from a configuration file and would not write password
>in it in clear text.

Hi Fabio

If it was possible to bind with an encrypted password, and someone read
your encrypted password, then it can authenticate. So it is useless to
encrypt it, because it does not prevent someone to use it :-)

Anyway, it is not possible. The LDAP API needs the clear text password.
This is not a problem, considering the explanation above.

François