ldap_passwd.diff

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Thu Apr 13 19:47:05 CEST 2006

Timur Izhbulatov wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 11:31:40AM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
>
>>Timur Izhbulatov wrote:
>
>>>Also I would like to ask you to pay your attention to the issue I reported some
>>>time ago:
>>>http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1440151&group_id=2072&atid=102072.
>
>>So if it's urgent for you to get your issue done I'd like to encourage
>>you to submit a patch. Even if your patch is not perfect this makes it
>>easier for me to start working on it.
>
> My patch for HEAD is attached. And, yes, it's not perfect, just a quick fix. For
> example the ldap.ldapobject.SimpleLDAPObject.passwd method still doesn't return
> server generated password if the newpw argument is omitted.

Timur, thanks for your patch.

1. As long as returning a server-generated password is not implemented
it does not make sense to make newpw optional and/or accept None as value.

2. Personally I'd like avoid to turn arguments user,oldpw,newpw of
passwd() into optional key-word arguments (and we can't do that for only
user and oldpw, see 1.). I'd rather prefer the application developer to
really know what he's doing. But I'm open to other opinions.