compiling with kubuntu

Matej Vela vela at debian.org
Tue Jul 18 11:25:35 CEST 2006

Raphael Pesche <raphael.pesche at rz.uni-freiburg.de> writes:

> I'm desperatly trying to compile python-ldap-2.2.0 on kubuntu 6.06 with
> python-2.3.5.
> OpenLDAP, OpenSSL and SASL are installed.
> I get the error:
>
> Modules/errors.c:24 error: size of array 'errobjects' is negative

[...]
> any hints as how to get it working?

Modules/errors.c requires a small patch for OpenLDAP 2.1 compatibility
(attached).  It's included in source packages for edgy [1] and etch [2].

[1] <http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/python/python-ldap>
[2] <http://packages.debian.org/testing/python/python-ldap>

You're probably wondering why we still use OpenLDAP 2.1 libraries.
AFAIK, it's because of libnss-ldap -- on partially-upgraded systems,
libnss-ldap might be linked to one version of OpenLDAP, and the
application to another, usually resulting in mixed-up symbols and a
spectacular crash.  I think the current plan is to solve this through
symbol versioning, though I'm not sure it will make it to this year's
Debian (or Ubuntu) release.

(Note that this doesn't affect the slapd package, which is already
OpenLDAP 2.3.)

Cheers,

Matej