Compability issues with Python 2.5

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Tue Sep 19 07:16:21 CEST 2006

Keith Jackson wrote:
> I don't have time, but when I converted a bunch of my code I found
> http://svn.effbot.python-hosting.com/stuff/sandbox/python/ ssizecheck.py
> to be very useful.

Yes, it is. I already checked the code with it. But mainly it does only
search for function names of the C API. I also don't have a 64-bit
machine at hand with decent tool chain. So I won't see compiler warnings
on my local system (SuSE Linux 10.0 i386).

And in some cases I don't know what to do. E.g. when converting to
OpenLDAP's struct berval (handling the length of the berval string).
Hmm, to me it looks ok.

>From OpenLDAP's lber_types.h:
------------------------------ snip ------------------------------
/* LBER lengths (32 bits or larger) */
#define LBER_LEN_T long
[..]
/* lengths */
typedef unsigned LBER_LEN_T ber_len_t;

>From OpenLDAP's lber_types.h:
/* structure for returning a sequence of octet strings + length */
typedef struct berval {
        ber_len_t       bv_len;
        char            *bv_val;
} BerValue;