CRISIS!! WAS: Old Distro

Ted Johnson whatawonderfulworldweliveintoo at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 4 18:01:43 CEST 2006

My server's down!!! I don't have a spare machine to try things out on yet. I went ahead and moved all the python stuff, tried your recipe to reinstall from ports, but now when I type in "python" at the prompt it tells me no such command exists! It's not to be found in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin. I restored everything I moved (including the aforementioned) but python still doesn't come up. Help!
Ted2

LI Xin <delphij at delphij.net> wrote: Ted Johnson wrote:
> I realized too late that I should have moved the /usr/bin/python binary
> before building out with the command you gave me. I used your command
> but still couldn't import ldap...I assume because I didn't uninstall the
> old python 2.3.5 (which I don't know how to do, since it's not built
> from ports, so I'll just move the binary :) Anyway, can you give me a
> command which undoes everything you just had me do, and I'll try again?

If I understand correctly, that would be "make deinstall clean" and then
"make install clean", if it insists to use python2.3, try specifying
PYTHON_VERSION=python2.4.

Note that it's not the end of world if you have a installation in
/usr/bin/python :-)  Just do a tarball over: /usr/bin/idle*
/usr/bin/python* /usr/lib/python* /usr/include/python*
/usr/share/python* /usr/share/examples/python*, then remove them would
make sure that you have a clean system.  Note that Zope 2.7 requires
Python 2.3 series IIRC.  If you have a spare system, installing
everything from scratch with the ports collection there before actual
operation on production system would save you a lot of time.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI  http://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!