Monitoring LDAP server (was: patch for ReconnectLDAPObject.whoami_s())

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Fri Jan 26 15:25:57 CET 2007

Alain Spineux wrote:

> I use whoami_s() like a ping, to know if the server is still up.

This requires support for "Who am I?" extended operation (see RFC 4532)
at the server's side which is not implemented in all server products.

> Do you know a better way ?

If it's an LDAPv3 server you could simply read the rootDSE.
Some servers implement special monitoring entries (e.g. cn=Monitor
implemented by OpenLDAP's back-monitor).

You have to think about detailed error handling.

But this all depends on which requirements you have.
How general? How many details?