Debian patches

Matej Vela vela at debian.org
Thu May 10 13:43:31 CEST 2007

Michael Ströder <michael at stroeder.com> writes:

> Matej Vela wrote:
>
>> If you'd like to compile your own, apply the Debian patch from
>> <http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/python-ldap/python-ldap_2.3-2.diff.gz>.
>
> This is quite a large patch set. I worry that somebody here claims to
> use python-ldap 2.3 but it's heavily patched like this.

I'm not sure how closely you looked, but most of it is packaging-related
-- the equivalent of an RPM .spec file.

debian/patches/openldap_2.1.diff is the one exception, and it's less that
3 KB.  Apart from disabling unsupported option flags (LDAP_OPT_X_TLS_*),
I don't think it significantly alters functionality.

> => I won't give support to Debian users anymore. I simply can't overlook
> all the changes made therein.

I understand.  Feel free to direct queries from Debian and Ubuntu users to
<python-ldap at packages.debian.org>.  As you can see, I already keep an eye
on python-ldap-dev.

> Note that even OpenLDAP 2.2 is set to historic status by its developers.
> 2.1 is unmaintained since years. So there are currently no more fixes to
> OpenLDAP 2.2 and prior versions anymore. This also affects the client libs.
>
> Instead of putting so much effort into preserving backwards compability
> of python-ldap to OpenLDAP 2.1 you should rather do the work to
> consequenty update all Debian packages to use OpenLDAP 2.3. There have
> been so many important fixes in the client libs.

I know.  Hopefully this will be fixed in the next release.

Cheers,

Matej