subtree move

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Mon Jun 25 22:31:19 CEST 2007

Roland Hedberg wrote:

> It seems like Python-ldap does not support modifyDN. That is moving a
> subtree from one place on a server to another place on the same server.

See methods rename() and rename_s() with argument newsuperior. You can
rename a sub-tree with e.g. with OpenLDAP/back-hdb.

> So, has anyone implemented modifyDN on top of python-ldap ?
>
> I realize it will not be very efficient, but then the subtree I might
> have to move is only one level deep and with a limited set of entries.

Or are you talking about moving sub-trees in case the LDAP server does
not support sub-tree renaming?

I have something slightly more efficient based on evaluating
hasSubordinates or similar attributes for sub-tree deletion in web2ldap.