Python LDAP version availability

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed Nov 21 09:51:32 CET 2007

Thomas Crawley wrote:

> I need to get my hands on an version 2.2.1 of Python-LDAP.

Really 2.2.1? Note that this won't run with Python 2.5 on 64 bit
platforms. Make sure that you fully understand all the issues fixed
since then by examining file CHANGES thoroughly.

CHANGES of CVS HEAD can be found here:

http://python-ldap.cvs.sourceforge.net/python-ldap/python-ldap/CHANGES?view=markup

> I am trying to install Python LDAP and have run into the same problem
> which this guy had.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=7fc4c9060709131427y4e536238g3fac0db80538945f%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=python-ldap-dev

IIRC in this case headers in local installation were messed up. The
original poster tried to build with OpenLDAP 2.3 libs but used the wrong
header file.

> I do not want to upgrade to OpenLDAP 2.3. I just need a version of
> Python-LDAP compatible with OpenLDAP 2.2.

Why? OpenLDAP 2.2 is historic today. There's no support anymore for
either OpenLDAP 2.2- (OpenLDAP project team) and python-ldap 2.2- (me).

> Where can I get such a version of Python-LDAP ?

I disable downloads of older versions for very good reasons.

I could provide this old version on case-by-case basis if there's a
really good reason. But there's absolutely no support/warranty for it.
And I will refuse to answer any questions regarding this old version.
(This also applies to Debian packages of python-ldap which claims to be
python-ldap 2.3.1 but with a rather large patch set applied for backward
compability to OpenLDAP 2.1.)