modifying problem

Anil Jangity anilj at entic.net
Fri Nov 30 20:40:30 CET 2007

I am not sure if this is a problem in my code, python ldap code, or
the (beta) LDAP server I am using:

A piece of the entry is as follows:

dn: cn=Ahmad Qazi+mail=something at uasdf.ca, mail=testl at hello.com, ou
 =People, o=entic.net
mail: something at uasdf.ca
cn: Ahmad Qazi

First of all, how was this entry added? Is having a RDN with the + and
the mail, allowed? I thought since the RDN is 'cn', it needs to match
exactly the 'cn' attribute, how can the mail be concatenated?

Then, I see the following in the LDAP server logs:

[30/Nov/2007:11:28:43 -0800] MODIFY conn=1943 op=1 msgID=2 result="Not
Allowed on RDN" message="Entry cn=Ahmad
Qazi+mail=something at uasdf.ca,mail=testl at hello.com,ou=People,o=entic.net
cannot be modified because the change to attribute mail would have
removed a value used in the RDN" etime=1

How should I correctly handle data entered by the users in python-ldap?

Thanks,
Anil