Exception info: Already Exists on New Add

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Tue Dec 18 10:53:33 CET 2007

Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> I'm adding an organization
>
> I get an exception info:'', desc: 'Already Exists' but if I go to gq the
> record actually did get added.

You're trying to re-add an entry with the same RDN. That's what this
message says.

> I have an exception handler that retrys the add on Can't contact server
> errors.

You should examine your exception handler...

> I've been getting errors: Can't contact LDAP server.  But it appears that if
> I retry bind, or search, (and now add) after hitting this error it succeeds,
> which is why I added a retry handler.

You might want to use yet undocumented ldapobject.ReconnectLDAPObject.
It does a good job for this particular problem.

> I'm running on Ubuntu 7.04 (VMWare).  Python2.4. Python-ldap 2.2.1

You should use python-ldap 2.3.1 although this is probably not part of
your problem.

> I've attached the trace file.

There are two calls of add_ext in there.

>  Any idea why I would get this result?

Well, it's your code... ;-)