Who is using python-ldap with Python 1.5.x and 2.0-2.2?

Matej Vela vela at debian.org
Mon Jun 16 22:36:40 CEST 2008

Michael Ströder <michael at stroeder.com> writes:

> And how about OpenLDAP libs and gnutls? Yes, I'm nagging here, but
> because of very good reasons.

I don't see it as nagging at all, you're perfectly right not to support
modifications you're not comfortable with.  I hope we provide a
reasonable level of support ourselves, both on this list and through
bugs.debian.org.

To provide some context, OpenLDAP 2.1 client libraries were not quite as
ancient at the time the current Debian release was frozen in late 2006.
A newer version didn't make it in time due to problems with symbol
versioning -- because of the large number of libraries and plugins
linked with libldap, a binary could end up simultaneously using code
compiled with different LDAP ABIs, and promptly crash.  The next Debian
release (due out later this year) will use libldap 2.4 with versioned
symbols.

I'm not sure which python-ldap package you were looking at, but the one
we released with, 2.2.0-3, has a 19-line patch for OpenLDAP 2.1.  Later
development versions used a 130-line patch, but none of these were
released for production use.  The patch is a currently a no-op, and I
intend to fully remove it before we release.

As for GnuTLS, the main reason it's used is the unfortunate
incompatibility between the OpenSSL license and the GPL [1].  I'm not
aware of stability or security issues in current versions.

[1] <http://www.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html>

Cheers,

Matej