python-ldap question

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed Jun 18 10:18:13 CEST 2008

Melita,

I'd kindly ask you to come over to the python-ldap-dev mailing list (See
To:, Bcc: to you to protect your e-mail address) to further discuss
things like this because others are surely interested in this too.

Melita Mihaljevic wrote:

> I'm developing extending MoinMoin groups to LDAP, and I need to read all
> groups from LDAP dir and map then with users that are members of certain
> group.

Hmm, you probably should not read all groups since group entries can be
very large. One of my customers has entries 'groupOfNames' containing
over 100.000 DNs in the attribute 'member'! Rather after the user's
login you should determine the groups the user is a direct member of.

> I looked at your web2ldap application and thought maybe you have
> some ideas.

Did you have a look at the filters sent by web2ldap? The [groupadm]
feature sends two search request (not requesting the member attribute!):
- search (different types of) groups the user is a member of
- search all groups

> I tried to search with ou=Groups but this is only one case. Do you know/
> have idea how to do it generaly.

Hmm, I'm not sure I fully understand what you're after.