Query on finding the members inside a nested group inside Active Directory

Alex Davies alex at davz.net
Thu Sep 4 17:33:02 CEST 2008

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to query an AD Domain Controller for some information, and i'd
like to do this without having to install the win32 and AD libraries for
Python.

I am using the following code to obtain a list of users inside a group
(test). This works well, but i'd like to be able to add groups that contain
users into the "test" group, and return them too. If I do this, the code
below returns nothing at all - not even the names of the groups in the test
group. Can anyone advise me how to do this?

--

import ldap
ldap.set_option(ldap.OPT_REFERRALS, 0)

l = ldap.initialize("ldap://10.3.x.x")
l.simple_bind_s('alexd at XXX.LOCAL', 'xxx')

baseDN = "OU=Location, DC=xxx, DC=local"
searchScope = ldap.SCOPE_SUBTREE
retrieveAttributes = ['sn'] # Surename
searchFilter = "(memberOf=CN=test,OU=Machines,OU=Linux
Auth,DC=xxx,DC=local)"

try:
  ldap_result_id = l.search(baseDN, searchScope, searchFilter,
retrieveAttributes)
  result_set = []
  while 1:
    result_type, result_data = l.result(ldap_result_id, 0)
    if (result_data == []):
      break
    else:
      if result_type == ldap.RES_SEARCH_ENTRY:
        print result_set
except ldap.LDAPError, e:
        print e

--