ldap.ENCODING_ERROR when trying to use SimplePageResultsControl

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Mon Mar 16 12:28:26 CET 2009

Zhang Huangbin wrote:
>> Strange, the same code (Demo/page_control.py) works in:
>>
>> - OS: CentOS 5.2, *i386*
>> - Python: 2.4.3-21.el5 (shipped within CentOS)
>> - python-ldap: 2.3.6 (installed from source tarball)
>> - OpenLDAP: 2.3.27-8.el5_2.4
>>
> How can i help developers fix this possible bug? Please feel free to
> contact me if you need more information.

The problem is that I don't have 64-bit Linux hardware to test myself.
And a bug could be in OpenLDAP client libs, Python or python-ldap
itself. The OpenLDAP and Python versions mentioned above are indeed
quite old. Also I don't know what the distributor CentOS or Red Hat is
exactly doing when builing the packages.

Dominic tested with a more recent version of the OpenLDAP client libs
(2.4.12) but still with pre-installed python 2.4.3-21.el5. Hmm...