ldap.passwd_s with Active Direcory

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed Aug 5 17:11:21 CEST 2009

Mike.Peters at opengi.co.uk wrote:
> Michael Ströder wrote:
>> Did you search for the MSDN article? The value has to be in your case
>> above:
>>
>> '"password"'.encode('utf-16-le')
>>
>> Note the quotes and the UTF-16 low-endian encoding.
>
> Thanks again for your help. I tried that but to no avail. I still get the
> same error.

It should work. It's the way I've implemented it in web2ldap. You must use
either LDAPS or StartTLS ext.op.

You might wanna look what's going on by setting trace_level=2 when calling
ldap.initialize().

> Do you know if the fact I'm accessing the server over a VPN
> would make any difference?

AD enforces that to work solely over an encrypted connection. A VPN is outside
the connection handling of AD so this won't work.