Re: How get get more search results than the server’s sizelimit?

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Mon Jan 18 13:51:55 CET 2010

Dave Kirby wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to search for all groups on a server, but there are
> more than the server sizelimit results, so the search fails to get
> them all.
>
> My understanding is that the only way to get round this is to use a
> paged search control with the search,

Which LDAP server product? With MS Active Directory using the simple paged
results control helps to circumvent the search result limit. But this won't
work with other LDAP servers like OpenLDAP which always enforces the
configured search result limit.

> but according to the python-ldap
> docs controls are not supported for the search functions even though
> they are for other functions.

Which version of python-ldap and docs are you referring to?

An example for simple paged results is shipped in the source distribution. See
this file:

Demo/page_control.py

> Is there a way in python-ldap to get all the results from a search
> query, or am I shafted?

In general the server determines what "all the results" means. ;-)