ldap.open() SSL patch

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at opengroupware.us
Mon Apr 19 19:56:56 CEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 12:12 -0300, ygormutti at dcc.ufba.br wrote:
> Michael Ströder <michael at stroeder.com>:
> > Just raising DeprecationWarning exception breaks existing code. I have to
> > reject your patch. ;-)
> I understand.
> > I've checked in a solution which only outputs a warning (just like
> > md5.py does
> > in recent Python releases). So old code should still work.
> I agree that this is a better solution for now.
> BTW, python-ldap looks a little bit complicated to use. I wonder if it
> has other functions just like ldap.open, making the API look more
> complicated than it actually is. I think it would be nice for
> python-ldap to have a major release with a simpler API.
> I'll write a smaller API on top of python-ldap to ease the most
> frequent use cases (simple authentication, searching, etc). If you
> like the idea, maybe we can work together on it.

As an LDAP admin for more than a decade.... this is nearly impossible to
do without loosing generality [especially authentication; and I expect
most applications implement an 'authentication' class anyway].

A search is a single method call, which seems pretty simple to me.

Perhaps you should look at the ldaphelper module created by Butcher.
<http://aleph-null.tv/article/20080125-1203-175.xml/ldaphelper%
3A-A-Python-Extension-Library-for-python-ldap>

It simplifies a few things, at minimal expense.