AIX 6.1 install trouble.

Chris Dukes pakraticus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 22:56:21 CEST 2010

Tom,

I'm now going to assume that you don't actually know anything about linkers
or shared libraries, nor about reading error messages to gain more detail
debugging.

The -Wl,-bnoquiet came from actually reading your error output and seeing
ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more
information.
collect2: ld returned 8 exit status

Since you rolled your own libldap_r, I have zero idea which libraries it was
linked against.

Look through that gcc output and look for your ldap library.
You'll see a line like
(ld): lib /usr/local/lib/libldap_r.a

Now see what is in that .a file
ar t that_dot_a_file

Now extract the shared object from that .a file
ar x that_dot_a_file that_object_file

Now see what libraries that shared object was linked against.
ldd that_object_file

And you're going to see something vaguely like
         /usr/lib/libs.a(shr.o)
         /usr/lib/libpthread.a(shr_xpg5.o)
         /opt/freeware/lib/liblber.a(liblber-2.4.so.2)
         /opt/freeware/lib/libssl.a(libssl.so.0.9.8)
         /opt/freeware/lib/libcrypto.a(libcrypto.so.0.9.8)
         /unix
         /usr/lib/libcrypt.a(shr.o)
         /usr/lib/libc.a(shr.o)
         /usr/lib/libpthreads.a(shr_comm.o)
         /usr/lib/libc.a(shr_64.o)
         /usr/lib/libpthreads.a(shr_xpg5_64.o)
         /usr/lib/libcrypt.a(shr_64.o)

Of interest, libcrypto.a.  You don't have 'crypto' in your libs stanza in
setup.cfg (It's in the default one), so it would fail with the libldap_r.a
that I have on my system.

If you built cyrus-sasl and put it into /usr/local/lib, it'll later complain
due to a lack of sasl2 in the libs as well.