[python-ldap] Python LDAP

Chris Dukes pakraticus+python-ldap at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 21:04:50 CEST 2011

On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 07:59:55PM +0200, Godefroid Chapelle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to access a Lotus Notes LDAP server.
>
> I got the information from the Notes admin that I should use a Base DN
> that consists of a single space. That feels very strange to me.

The problem you are having is not specific to python-ldap, nor Lotus LDAP.

Be the DN '' (an empty string) or ' ' (A space) or '    ' (Lots of spaces)
it's the DN of the root of the tree on that LDAP server.

> Has one of the subscribers already succeeded to connect to Lotus Notes ?

I suggest attempting the following against the Lotus Domino LDAP.
ldapsearch -h LDAPServer -x -b '' -s base 'objectclass=*'
This will return the LDAP entry for the root of the tree, which may or may not
contain anything interesting.

Now look one level further down.
ldapsearch -h LDAPServer -x -b '' -s one 'objectclass=*'
Which will probably show all of groups.

> Thanks
> --
> Godefroid Chapelle (aka __gotcha) http://bubblenet.be