[python-ldap] github etc.

Russell Jackson raj at csub.edu
Wed Apr 27 20:32:27 CEST 2011

On 04/27/2011 11:10 AM, Michael Ströder wrote:
> Please understand that after over ten years of maintaining python-ldap my
> experience is that the few patches coming in do not justify spending my spare
> time to switch things. I will definitely change my mind if contributors send
> in more patches.

First. I think you my be causing a self-fulfilling prophecy. Ease of
access to source code, tracking local changes (as well as upstream
changes) and eventual reintegration might help to seed interest in the
project. I know that I personally feel a certain level of repulsion when
I have to deal with CVS. I'm probably not alone.

Second. I think many of us are probably maintaining internal patch sets
that are either not appropriate to be (e.g. specific to institution) or
cannot be (e.g. due to legal issues) merged back upstream. An upstream
git repository would make it damn near trivial to track upstream along
with our local changes. With CVS, I have to periodically check CVS and
sync it manually[1]. It works, but it's not ideal.

1. It's actually possible to mirror CVS to git (history and all) with
`cvsto`, but you also have to also mirror the entire raw CVS respository
locally as well. So it's a fair amount of infrastructure to setup.

--
Russell A Jackson <raj at csub.edu>
Network Analyst