[python-ldap] github etc.

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed Apr 27 20:48:00 CEST 2011

Russell Jackson wrote:
> On 04/27/2011 11:10 AM, Michael Ströder wrote:
>> Please understand that after over ten years of maintaining python-ldap my
>> experience is that the few patches coming in do not justify spending my spare
>> time to switch things. I will definitely change my mind if contributors send
>> in more patches.
>
> First. I think you my be causing a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Maybe. But instead of wasting time discussing workflows and infrastructure I'd
like to get concrete issues solved. If somebody is seriously willing to help
I'm glad pointing to the urgent issues.

> Ease of
> access to source code, tracking local changes (as well as upstream
> changes) and eventual reintegration might help to seed interest in the
> project. I know that I personally feel a certain level of repulsion when
> I have to deal with CVS. I'm probably not alone.

While I agree that CVS somewhat sucks and git/mercurial etc. are far better,
please understand that my spare time is also limited. And you should
appreciate that I'm cautious to ensure that the code stays free all the time.

> Second. I think many of us are probably maintaining internal patch sets
> that are either not appropriate to be (e.g. specific to institution) or
> cannot be (e.g. due to legal issues) merged back upstream. An upstream
> git repository would make it damn near trivial to track upstream along
> with our local changes. With CVS, I have to periodically check CVS and
> sync it manually[1]. It works, but it's not ideal.

Again: My spare time is also limited. So if anybody out there feels having to
maintain a private fork for whatever valid reason the necessary work is also
private effort.

I find it very strange that there are so many responses in this thread but no

So for now I won't discuss this any further.