[python-ldap] Querying Active Directory excessively slower than querying eDirectory

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Tue May 17 14:34:46 CEST 2011

* Michael Ströder (2011-05-17 14:14 +0200)
> without knowing more details one cannot really comment on this. Just wild
> guesses:
>
> Something related to DNS?
>
> Or referral chasing? (MS AD returns referrals)
> Did you try to turn off automatic referral chasing?

It's not a connection issue. As I wrote, the data is returned from both
DAs within the same second (actually 60 milliseconds).

> Is the time measured only the call to connection.search_s() or does it
> include connecting to the server?

It includes connecting but that is less than one second.

> Which is the search base? The search filter?

In the Active Directory case it is the root of the domain partition
(/dc=conto
so,dc=com) in the eDirectory case it is the root of the tree. But that
shouldn't matter since the response with the query data comes within
sixty milliseconds. The filter is the default ((objectClass=*)).

Thorsten