[python-ldap] older python versions not available anymore

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Thu Jun 9 20:05:44 CEST 2011

Peter Jacobs wrote:
> Op 8/06/2011 20:54, Michael Ströder schreef:
>> I've re-enabled 2.3.13 in pypi for those stuck with OpenLDAP 2.3 libs.
>> But I won't fix things in this old release.
>>
> There is some confusion about the issue at hand:
> The packages themselves work fine, but I have a lot of installation scripts
> that basically say:
> - fetch python-ldap-2.3.11.tar.gz from the pypi website
> - install it locally
> These scripts used to work fine, but now when somebody runs them they give a
> download error, as that file has been removed from pypi. The exact version
> number is included on purpose, to be able to have a tested and reproducable
> installation with a Known Good Set of packages.
>
> Of course, by changing the script to python-ldap-2.3.13.tar.gz , it finds the
> package again, but:
> - it is not always immediately clear which version to take without testing,
> sometimes you need to install a new application quickly.
> - if somebody who has no internal knowledge about the installation runs the
> script, they will be stuck

I'd say if your software runs with 2.3.11 it also will work with 2.3.13
without problems. Please look at file CHANGES. There was an important fix in
2.3.12 for python -tt. Also unnecessary thread locking was relaxed.

> So the proposal is to just keep the older versions online, so people can
> upgrade at their own pace?

Yes, but people using an older version might run into problems already fixed
(see python -tt above) and people ask for support.

Could we agree on that in this case you update to 2.3.13 which is mainly a bug
fix release compared to 2.3.11? It can still be built with OpenLDAP 2.3 libs.