[python-ldap] what's next with python-ldap and py3

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Fri Jul 29 14:41:18 CEST 2011

On 29/07/2011 11:22, Michael Ströder wrote:
> Frankly I don't have a use-case for Python3 myself. So for me personally this
> has a rather low priority.

I just wanted to say that I sympathise with this point of view, as
well as the other you expressed later where there's a difference
between a working prototype and a fully documented, release-packaged
version (or versions, depending on how you play things).

I follow python-ldap principally because I'm the author of a module
aimed specifically at Active Directory and I just want to pick up
the kind of issues people are facing when accessing via LDAP proper.
(I occasionally point people your way, too, when that seems to
make sense).

But I have the same issue: how hard do I try to support Py3 if
I don't need it myself? Like all active Python developers, I
recognise the need for pushing Python 3 forward, but my drivers
are similar to yours: whatever my immedaite customers need and
which I can support.

FWIW I have the luxury of a pure-python package, supported by
pywin32 (which is already py2 and py3 ready) and I'm refactoring
with a view to py3 support, but my main market is still py2
and unless I get time and/or money to do otherwise it'll likely
stay that way for the moment.

TJG