[python-ldap] Error trying to test python-ldap install.

Scott Batchelor scott.batchelor at capstonetech.com
Thu Aug 11 19:24:44 CEST 2011

Admittedly,  I am new to both python and python-ldap so I may be missing
something simple.  I am trying to run the following script from the doc
example.

I have verified that I can connect to the LDAP server and return the desired
result via a simple ldapsearch command line.

Here is the result of checking the module install.
$ python ­c "import ldap;print ldap._version_"
2.4.4

I have checked to make sure that the module is being called from the correct
python install with:
$ python ­c "import ldap;print ldap._file_"

And that checks out ok.

Upon trying to run the following script:  **Note dummy values have replaced
real values to protect the innocent.

import ldap, sys

l = ldap.initialize('ldap//localhost:389')
l.simple_bind_s()
l.search_s('base',ldap.SCOPE_SUBTREE,'filter')

I receive this error:

raceback (most recent call last):
  File "simple.py", line 3, in <module>
    ld = ldap.initialize('ldap//localhost:389')
  File
"/vol09/eng/python/python27/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ldap/functions.py",
line 91, in initialize
    return LDAPObject(uri,trace_level,trace_file,trace_stack_limit)
  File
"/vol09/eng/python/python27/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ldap/ldapobject.py",
line 70, in __init__
    self._l =
ldap.functions._ldap_function_call(ldap._ldap_module_lock,_ldap.initialize,u
ri)
  File
"/vol09/eng/python/python27/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ldap/functions.py",
line 63, in _ldap_function_call
    result = func(*args,**kwargs)
ldap.LDAPError: (2, 'No such file or directory')

Any help to point me in the right direction would greatly appreciated.