[python-ldap] python-ldap 2.4.x packages in Linux distributions?

Christopher Dukes pakraticus at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 18:48:15 CEST 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-11 at 16:50 +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
> HI!
>
> Hopefully some package maintainers of Linux distributions are reading here.
>
> Are there any obstacles upgrading python-ldap packages in your Linux
> distribution? If yes, which one?
>
> I'm asking because there are some new features in python-ldap 2.4.x (more
> sophisticated LDAPv3 controls) which are crucial for some applications.

Add the new features you need.  Just keep the old versions available.
Be clear in your documentation about the minimum version of openldap and
python you are using with your newer work.  I would also encourage you
to assert those (or slightly more liberal) minimums in setup.py.

I'm going to be stuck with python-2.4.3 on my RHEL5 systems for the
foreseeable future.  As long as the latest version of python-ldap that
supports python-2.4.3 and openldap-2.4.23 is available for download,
that's fine.

I'm stuck with python-2.6.2 and openldap-2.4.23 on AIX for the
foreseeable future.  Again, as long as the latest version of python-ldap
that works with both is available for download, that's fine.  I do
maintain python-ldap RPMs for AIX for my employer.  And if you do choose
to assert a minimum version of openldap, keep in mind that ctypes don't
work on AIX.

I'm also stuck with python-2.6.6 and openldap-2.4.23 on RHEL6 systems
for the foreseeable future.

I'll let the ubuntu, debian, and SLES folks pipe up with what minimum
versions they'll be stuck with for a while.

So my questions are.
Do you want to continue supporting python-ldap on python 2.5 and
earlier?
As python 2.7 is the last python 2.x, do you want to start work on
porting to python 3.x?